Friends of the Guardian Scholars
The Friends of the Guardian Scholars program allows volunteers and community members to support Guardian Scholars through professional development, mentorship and financial support.
Networking with professionals is one of the most effective strategies for helping students create goals and prepare for careers. Professional and Career Development Network partners provide first-hand knowledge that enables Guardian Scholars to be informed and plan for their future.
Become a professional partner or mentor!
If you are interested in supporting students by becoming a a professional partner or mentor, please complete this information:
Like us on Facebook
- Be available for informational interviews about jobs and careers
- Provide job shadowing opportunities
- Be career/job liaisons for internships and jobs
- Review resumes, applications and personal statements for specific careers
- Participate in career meet and greet panels or discussions
Mentors are primarily UC Davis staff and faculty members who support students in reaching their academic and personal goals. Mentors provide counsel, friendship, positive reinforcement and constructive examples. They are good listeners, caring and want to help our Guardian Scholars succeed.
Role of Mentor
- Advice: Provide information, perspectives, and counsel
- Coach: Provide support, encouragement, and guidance
- Advocate: Provide access to resources, endorsement, and feelings of security
- One academic year commitment
- One weekly contact (email, phone, face-to-face)
- One monthly face-to-face contact
- Participate in the Guardian Scholars mentor training program
- Participate in Guardian Scholars Mentor Program activities
- Provide periodic updates to the lead mentor and/or program advisor
Former foster youth often face insurmountable challenges to higher education without financial support. Receiving a scholarship can make their dream of going to college a reality.
But paying for tuition and fees is only the first financial hurdle. To persist at UC Davis, these students need additional support and guidance to reach their academic and personal goals.
Private support is crucial to the Guardian Scholars Program. Every gift touches the life of a special someone who, with your help, can beat the odds.
- California College Pathways
- Foster a Dream
- Fostering Futures Foundation
- In-N-Out Burger Child Abuse Foundation
- John Burton Foundation
- Northern California Foster Youth Higher Education Consortium
- Orangewood Children's Foundation
- Silicon Valley Children's Fund
- Soroptimist International of Davis, California
- Stuart Foundation
- Yolo County CASA
- Yolo County Department of Employment and Social Services
If you are interested in more information about partnering with the Guardian Scholars Program, please contact Valeri Garcia, program adviser, 530-752-1211, email@example.com.