Commas and Semicolons - Practice
Commas: Insert commas in the following sentences, as needed.
Example: Even though these two countries celebrate Lent they both also use or prefer different types of dishes.
Answer: Even though these two countries celebrate Lent, they both also use or prefer different types of dishes.
- To celebrate the graduation of my brother Aaron we must throw a big party.
- Both cultures are different yet they share the same purpose of preserving their language.
- Besides studying abroad will look amazing on future references and work applications.
- For example she did research on babies who were learning to speak Koro Japanese and English.
- “The Language of Silence” by Maxine Hong Kingston who is one of the greatest writers in the United States documents the author's difficulties in speaking since a very young age.
- Around 1816 Von Drais a German baron built the first known bicycle a two-wheeled wooden walking machine.
- Today social media has become I fear a strong part of people’s lives.
- Lewis (2015) shows that there are over 75,000,000 people who speak French as a first language and over 87,000,000 people who use French as a second language; also 53 countries use French as an official language.
Semicolons: Re-write the following sentences to include a semicolon. If any commas are needed in your rewrite, add those as necessary.
Example: I really do not like to work in groups, however I have to admit that sometimes it is very helpful.
Answer: I really do not like to work in groups; however, I have to admit that sometimes it is very helpful.
- People need to start saving water, in many cases people are unaware of the impacts of having a water drought.
- I have a blog about some serious but important aspects about college life, and this blog will be a great reference for incoming college freshmen.
- Many undergraduate and graduate students consider studying abroad while in college. Although the reasons vary from person to person.
- That is why it is important for cultural values to continue in Inupiat communities because they allow them to reflect on their cultural values and see their importance in the Inupiat community.
Commas & Semicolons: Correct the comma and semicolon use in the following paragraph.
For some people biking is not just a way to get around, or a recreational pastime, it is a way of life. People utilize bikes not just to feel healthier both mentally and physically, but to also help the environment. Bicycles unite people together, since they have something in common. Bicycles are more than just a toy or exercise machine, they mean freedom from traffic jams, stress and pollution. People do not have to rely on anyone or adjust to others’ agenda to get anywhere, or do anything. In addition repairing a bicycle is less expensive than repairing a car. The bicycle has many benefits besides helping people stay in shape and reducing pollution. A bike can be very beneficial if you need to go somewhere and do not want to walk or take the bus. Furthermore it can help you in times of need, for example my bicycle has gotten me out of trouble more than once when I had to race to class on a deadline, because I overslept. When I am unable to think, my bike transports me to another place, a place where “I will suddenly find myself marveling at the joy and exhilaration I feel when the breeze tickles my cheek and the pedaling suddenly becomes effortless” (Chen).