Passive vs. Active Voice - Answer Key
What follows are possible revisions to alleviate passive construction in order to clarify ideas or make the sentence more precise.
- Japan’s earthquakes are the most damaging in the world.
- More than 3 major earthquakes have occurred.
- Pesticides annihilate the honey bee.
- The meaning of the food used in Catholicism connects these two countries.
- Throughout time, changes in communities shift people away from their culture.
What follows are possible revisions that alleviate passive constructions while clarifying meaning.
- The second experiment revealed that teenagers’ perception of sexual activity depended on whether they were exposed to sexual behavior, sexual plans, or the risks of sexual activity at a young age.
- Historians argue that this kept Russia going for as long as it did before World War 1.
- When people comment that I have a so-called accent, it troubles my conscience because of what that might mean about my race and ethnicity.
- In addition, new transportation has been developed. (NECESSARY PASSIVE: We don’t know, nor does it matter, who developed it; what matters is it was developed).
- Once designers learned more about bicycles, they created a chain that linked the two wheels. (OR: A better understanding of how a bicycle functions necessitated the creation of a chain that linked the two wheels.)
- As one university that offers online education, Humboldt State’s conclusions merit attention.