Revising To Be Verbs - Practice
Revise the following sentences to eliminate to be verbs without altering meaning. Feel free to revise the main verb to make it stronger or more active.
Example: In conclusion, to be a doctor requires a lot of knowledge, and that is why doctors charge so much.
Revision: In conclusion, becoming a doctor requires a lot of knowledge, and doctors charge so much because of that.
- This technology is a solution to the current conundrum America is facing.
- People are able to get the right expertise at the right time.
- However, sometimes things go wrong with vaccines and there are some complications, but it is rare when that happens.
- Many debate whether voluntary associations during the time of the Great Reforms were successful in shaping a middle-class identity.
In the following sentences, unnecessary to be verb constructions cause confusion. Revise each sentence to clarify the idea without losing meaning. Are there any sentences that must maintain the to be verb? If so, which and why?
Example: Mobile phones are key products to make the system succeed because they are easily handled by most people even people who did not receive sufficient education.
Revision: Mobile phones increase the system’s success because most people can easily use them.
- A hybrid is a vehicle whose powertrain combines two or more sources of power that can directly or indirectly propel the vehicle.
- That is why it is important for cultural values to continue in Inupiat communities because it allows them to reflect on their cultural values and see their importance in the Inupiat community.
- The way that pizza has been changed in different food cultures shows how dough is still used as a main ingredient but still not prepared like its original background which is the Italian way using leavened dough.
- Chinese Mandarin is my first language, and I am fluent in English since I learned it over ten years.