Sentence Boundaries - Practice
Each of the following sentences is incomplete. Decide which problem the sentences have: fragment, run-on, or comma splice. Next, rewrite each sentence to make it grammatically complete and correct. You may have to add information to make it complete.
Example: Even though I was just taking four classes. I felt breathless
Revision: Fragment. Even though I was just taking four classes, I felt breathless.
- Also about the author’s point about how there are people who cannot live without social media sites because they have just been infused into their daily routines.
- Chinese people use social media called weibo in China it is the same as Twitter.
- I found that the mountain did not have enough snow, the staff used snow machines to make snow last year.
- The author is citing information in a correct manner the evidence for this is the reference list at the end of the reading he respects the original writer of those resources.
- People used either letters or telephones to contact each other. Before the invention of the mobile phone.
- Macmillan built a similar bicycle as the one Drais built, one big difference is that this one was made of iron instead of wood.
- One of the major foods that Italy is known for is pizza the main ingredient in pizza that the Italians use frequently is leavened dough.
- The author uses evidence, formal tone, and informative structure he clearly shows how new water restrictions may affect the public in California.
- The effectiveness of vaccines proves to us that they are safe, however, sometimes things go wrong with vaccines and there are some complications, but it is rare when that happens.
- Demonstrating the approaches used in the study. The authors used more passive voice than active voice.
Revise the following passage to eliminate all sentence structure errors. Be sure to identify what may be missing from each sentence and insert the missing pieces.
When students recognize they might have mental problems such as stress, depression, or anxiety. They should ask for help or find a way to deal with these problems. A variety of resources out there to help students deal with these mental problems. Students can go to schools’ wellness centers to talk with counselors, they have professional knowledge, so they might provide the best advice to students. The gym is the most popular place where students can “sweat” out their stress or pressure exercise is a great way to refresh students’ brains so that they can learn more effectively. According to the article, students who want to shift their focus for a while should make time for their hobbies (Ponton, 2014). Another great way for students to reduce stress is through conversation with family or friends. Most of the time, students’ stresses from their family’s high expectations or friends’ “competition.” Therefore family or friends might help students deal with these problems, students who think they need to reduce their stress should really find a way to do so, otherwise they will develop more serious mental illnesses.